The Cowichan Power and Sail Squadron was formed in 1959 as part of Vancouver Island District of the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons. In 1996 it became part of the newly formed Vancouver Island Northern District which consists of ten squadrons from the Malahat to Port Hardy and Powell River. Geographically the Squadron serves an area from Mill Bay to Crofton, including the Duncan area, Cobble Hill, Shawnigan Lake and Lake Cowichan.
The Squadron Bridge is elected at the Annual General Meeting and meets monthly. All members are encouraged to participate at these meetings.
The CPSS Burgee
The Cowichan First Nation has been identified with the Cowichan Valley for centuries. Cowichan has been variously translated to mean; “Warm Valley”, “Sunny Valley People”, “Basking in the Sun”, and “Valley of the Sun”. An undisputed translation by the experts has not been agreed upon.
The golden background of the burgee represents the sun, the navy blue border represents the water surrounding Vancouver Island where our Squadron is located, the two navy blue stripes on the fly of the pennant represent the two rivers that flow into the Cowichan Bay, (Cowichan River and Koksilah River), the two major bays in the area, (Cowichan Bay and Maple Bay), the two major lakes, (Cowichan Lake and Shawnigan Lake), and an affliation with the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons.
The Orca is native to our waters and it is fitting that the design of the Orca on our burgee be of First Nation origin or Native motif.
The CPSS Executive
|Past Commander||Robert Wheadon|
|Administrative Officer||Colin Hall|
|Education Officer||Nancy Dower|
|Financial Officer||Wayne MacDonald|
|Membership Officer||Ian de Verteuil|
|The Seabreeze Editor||Peggy McLennan|